Thursday 16 August 2012

Useless at P.E. but still forced to take part.

One aspect of the Olympics Legacy is Politicians calling for more PR in Schools with London Mayor Boris Johnson calling for 2 hours of compulsory  PE a day  he said...
 “I’d like to see, frankly, the kind of regime I used to enjoy — compulsory two hours of sport every day. I’ve no doubt that’s the sort of thing which would be wonderful for kids across this country. I think it is of profound importance for the happiness and success of this country that we have more sport in schools.”
So he's proposing that something like 2/3 of the School Hours each day was dedicated to PE

Mr Johnson went to the exclusive private school of Eton which may have increased the school day to include  some form of PE.Tennis Club for instance.

Bur why haven't those reporting on this pointed out what part of the curriculum should be sacrificed  for PE?

Literacy perhaps?

Other politicians have jumped on the games bandwagon .

Ignoring the fact both Labour and Coalition Governments have allowed the selling of of School playing fields 

They are calling for more sport and competitive games in our schools.

I may be bitter here I was absolutely useless at PE and would have dropped it like a shot if I could.

I was always the last to be picked for a team when it came to competitive  sports and when it came to the weekly rugby training I was sent on a unsupervised cross country run with the other no-hoppers.

It cam be hard on a Kid when you're  bottom of the class in any subject and PE was mine but each week I had to take part in a subject I was no good at and couldn't drop. .

Strangely this did not make be adverse to Sports as a spectator.and I have served on the committee of my local Rugby Club despite never having played for them.

Yes we need to make sure that our children are fit. Bu not subject them to regimes they are not suited to.

It must be tailored to ensure all enjoy or at least don't hate it.

And using the Olympics as an example is a bad one .

Schools should not be looking at only  the best athletes though they should be helped but at the general health and fitness of all students. 

And we must make sure that we do not concentrate on the elite performers. Creating the "Jocks"  attitude of American Schools.

The idea of fitness is a great one for our children but it Strangely this did not make be adverse to Sports as a spectator.must not leave a large number humiliated and embarrassed  by making them do activities  they are not suited to do,


No comments: