There was "train chaos" on the valley lines on Tuesday - the same day overcrowding was raised as an issue in the First Minister's Questions.
Rail commuters faced delays and cancellations on services coming in and out of Cardiff during the Tuesday morning commute.
Arriva Trains Wales said a problem with line-side equipment at Cathays train station meant trains were having to run at a reduced speed between Pontypridd and Cardiff.
Trains between Barry Island, Cardiff Central, Bridgend, Merthyr Tydfil, Aberdare and Treherbert were all affected.
Leanne Wood raised the issue of overcrowding at the First Minister's Questions on Tuesday calling for the valley line in the Rhondda to go from a single line to a dual line.
The Rhondda AM, who is a regular user of the Treherbert to Cardiff service, told First Minister Carwyn Jones that passengers in Wales "deserved better".
Addressing the First Minister about the renewal of the railway franchise, Ms Wood said:
“The renewal of the franchise gives us the opportunity to discuss the issue of capacity, and there’s a significant issue of capacity on the Valley lines, as you will be aware.
“Everyday commuters face issues of overcrowding and delays. Frequency is an issue as well.
“On the Treherbert line for example - one that I’m particularly familiar with - there are only two passing points on that line and we need to go from a single line to a dual line.
“The Treherbert line is mentioned in the budget today - can you say more about that train line, and in particular, can you tell us when we can expect to see a plan for the re-duelling of the Treherbert train service?”
“Overcrowding is a familiar problem for anyone who uses the Valleys Lines,” “I know it is also nothing new for the many pupils of Treorci Comprehensive School who rely on the service on a daily basis. When you see children pressed up against each other because carriages are so full it is distressing for all concerned, especially for parents of the children.
“Parents, who pay for this service, are angry and rightly so. Some have been in touch this week on the matter. I have had meetings with Arriva Trains Wales in the past where it was pledged that valleys trains would become more of a priority for extra carriages. Unfortunately we are still seeing carriages that are full to the point of being uncomfortable.”
“All these problems and the subsequent customer dissatisfaction underlines the need for the next franchise to be absolutely spot on. The last franchise did not have any provision for passenger growth or extra train capacity, and that is big part of why we are where we are now. That mistake cannot happen again and it is incumbent on the Labour Government in Wales to get it right
The BBC reports that
The firm that runs most of Wales' rail network has pulled out of the contest to continue running it from 2018.Arriva has said Arriva Trains Wales was "no longer participating in the Wales and Borders competition", adding it had "not been an easy decision".
Transport for Wales said it was "not uncommon" for bidders for major projects to withdraw.
The Tories said Arriva's withdrawal "raises questions" about government engagement with the process.
An Arriva-owned company has run the franchise since 2003. There are three remaining bidders - Abellio, KeolisAmey and MTR.
Responsibility for the process of finding a company to run the services is set to be devolved from 2018
Arriva Trains Wales' parent company Arriva said it "had been proud" providing rail transport in Wales for almost 14 years.
"We will continue to work constructively with TfW to help make the next franchise a success and build upon the legacy that Arriva has built with Arriva Trains Wales," said an Arriva statement.Tom Joyner, managing director of Arriva Trains Wales said:
"We remain fully committed to delivering for our customers."
"We have been notified that Arriva Group have withdrawn from the bidding process for the next Wales and Borders franchise.
"Our key priority following this announcement is to continue to focus on the delivery of our services for the people and communities that depend on us for the remainder of the current franchise."
A spokeswoman for Transport for Wales said:
"Arriva Rail Wales have notified Transport for Wales that they intend to withdraw from the bidding process for the next Wales and Borders rail franchise.
"It is not uncommon for bidders for major projects to withdraw during the tender process and Arriva have been clear they have done this for their own commercial reasons.
"The procurement process is a tough and demanding one and we recognise Arriva's extensive work to date.
"With final tenders due later this year, we have three companies with world-class credentials each putting their own, distinct cases for how they will deliver the ambitious objectives we set, with the goal of delivering a step change in rail services for passengers across Wales and the Borders."
Could not this be a an opportunity to consider a asking Arriva to continue for a few years more before bringing Rail Transport under public control.
This could coincide with ambitious plans by the Welsh Assembly Government to reopen the Carmarthen -Aberystwyth line as well as others such as the changes to the Valley lines Leane Wood has demanded,?.
Maybe its time the apparent move to the left in Labour in the rest of the UK reached Wales, or is there a difference between policies in opposition and being in power?