Wednesday 25 March 2020

Llywedd test positive for virus suggests number of cases much higher than reported.

For some reason the news that the Senedd’s  (Presiding) Officer) Llywydd Elin Jones has tested positive with coronavirus after ‘mild’ symptoms – and has told anyone with similar symptoms to self-isolate, has not been extensively covered by even the Welsh media let alone the UK 
“I started my symptoms last Thursday evening and have been in self-isolation at home since then,” she said.
“My symptoms have been very mild – a new cough, slight tightness of the chest and fatigue. The symptoms were so slight I could easily have ignored them and persuaded myself I was of no risk to anyone.
“I’m so glad that I heeded the advice or I could have been walking around in Ceredigion and spreading the virus. The lesson from my experience is clear – even with the mildest of symptoms – self isolate. Even seek to self-isolate within your home if you can. Don’t ignore any symptoms.
“Never for one moment did I think my result would be positive. I had fully expected to be tested negative so I could chair Senedd proceedings today.
“I continue to be in self-isolation and to follow guidelines. That’s all we can do. Follow guidelines.
“Keep safe all and thank you to all those in our communities and in decision-making positions who are working to tackle and defeat this virus. My best wishes to you all.”
I wish Elin a speedy recovery , but it has increased my suspicion that the number of cases are much higher than reported, with people who are getting slight  symptoms and not reporting them (or being unable to because the lines are full) and hopefully self treating and self isolating.

Elin was tested how many with the symptoms may have not been




 New legislation giving Welsh ministers sweeping powers to act on coronavirus are reasonable and proportionate, Wales' health minister has said.Vaughan Gething said the law was needed "to protect life and the nation's public health".
The assembly gave its formal approval to the UK parliament bill on Tuesday, with only 15 AMs present.
AMs passed a motion giving their consent to the law without a vote. The bill is expected to be passed swiftly by parliament by Thursday.
Numbers in the assembly chamber were severely reduced after the UK announced strict new curbs to everyday life.Ahead of the debate First Minister Mark Drakeford told the Senedd the restrictions were needed to protect the NHS.Although there was no opposition expressed to the bill, AMs from across the political spectrum expressed unease at its scope and called for ministers to report regularly on the use of the powers.
Although it is UK legislation, the provisions for Wales mean AMs had to give their formal permission through a legislative consent motion..
The UK Parliament should also follow suit with the number of MPs meeting subjected to a Pro Rata system .
Clearly though some may be reluctant to admit it we need not only leadership but also scrutiny from out elected officials, 
However one wonders if the House of Lords is on lockdown , or are Peers continuing to turn up and taking their attendance allowance even if they (as many normality do) have no intention in actually doing any work.

No comments: