Wednesday 3 September 2014

Scotland and Casablanca.

Thinking about the  Scottish Independence Vote  from a Welsh point of view it may be that some Welsh Nationalists may have some misgivings  Fearing that Wales will suffer from a English backlash as we and Cornwall are left alone under the Tories or Blue Labour who will do their damnedest  to make sure that we never have the nerve to to follow.

But i'm reminded of Rick farewell  speech to Ilsa in the film Casablanca



Ilsa: You're saying this only to make me go.
Rick: I'm saying it because it's true. Inside of us, we both know you belong with Victor. You're part of his work, the thing that keeps him going. If that plane leaves the ground and you're not with him, you'll regret it. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.
Ilsa: But what about us?
Rick: We'll always have Paris. We didn't have it before...we'd...we'd lost it until you came to Casablanca. We got it back last night.
Ilsa: When I said I would never leave you...
Rick: And you never will. But I've got a job to do too. Where I'm going, you can't follow. What I've got to do, you can't be any part of. Ilsa, I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you'll understand that. Now, now. Here's looking at you, kid.

And that is my message to Scotland is

 "If you don't vote YES.  You'll regret it. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life".

We may find things difficult at first but an Independent Scotland will be an Inspiration and one day we wil catch our own plane out of here .

 

No comments: