Friday, 12 April 2013

Holes appear in the Severn Barrage.


A BBC Wales investigation has revealed that serious questions about two of the founders of a project to build a barrage across the Severn estuary have been raised 

According to the report by  David Cornock and Illtud ab Alwyn:
The largest shareholder in Hafren Power has previously been declared bankrupt three times during a lengthy business career.Another businessman has been declared bankrupt twice but said it should not detract from the project's legitimacy.Backers claim the £25bn barrage could generate 5% of Britain's electricity.Hafren Power wants to build an 11 mile (17.7km) barrage between Lavernock Point near Penarth, Vale of Glamorgan, and Brean near Weston-super-Mare, Somerset.Richard Bazley - the largest shareholder in Hafren Power - was declared bankrupt in 1977, 1994 and 2005.

Mr Bazley, described by Hafren Power as its founder and "the visionary" behind the barrage, describes himself as a "serial entrepreneur".
He declined to be interviewed but Hafren Power chief executive Tony Pryor denied Mr Bazley's background undermined the credibility of the project.
Another founder Idwal Stedman, who sits on Hafren Power's regional committee, has been declared bankrupt twice: in 1994 while working as an architect and in 2006 while working as an antiques dealer.
Although Hafren Power describes Mr Stedman as having run "a highly regarded architecture firm," he is currently barred from calling himself an architect.
He was struck off by the Architects Registration Board last year after complaints about unpaid bills.
The board removed him from the register for "conduct that is fundamentally incompatible with continuing to be an architect".

BBC Wales 11th April  2013

We are left wondering what the response will be from the main Champion for the project Neath PM  Peter Hain wil be?

Only last  a fortnight ago he was issuing  strong rallying call to Wales to “stand up and fight” for the  Severn Barrage.

Responding to The Port of Bristol is currently opposition to the scheme claiming it would have a detrimental effect on its commercial activities – upstream of any barrage – as well as harming the environment.


Mr Hain went on to say: 
“They would be better advised to engage with Hafren Power and find out a workable commercial solution to their concern.”
Of the Severn Barrage itself, Mr Hain said, this was the biggest construction project facing Wales, more transformative than anything seen during modern times.
He reminded his listeners that this was not just about Wales but about south-west England,
He said: “We aren’t blessed with massive infrastructure projects but this one is entirely private financed and could supply 5% of the UK’s electricity for more than 120 years, cleanly, securely and sustainably.”
Western Mail 22nd April 2013

We meed to know whether Mr Hain was aware of the past of some of his colleagues an if so why he feels that they are suitable to lead such a project.

He is usually  never shy of speaking out and now is not the time for him to find any modesty and remain quiet.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment