The CEO of Seven Trent Olivia 'Liv' Garfield, has announcement that a major plans to protect the water supply to Birmingham and Solihull with the construction of a second pipe to complement the historic Elan Valley Aqueduct.In the Week that remember the drowning of another Valley Tryweryn look particualy insensitive.
In ap iece entitled
Severn Trent CEO outlines £100 million plans to protect Birmingham's water supply
Ms Garfield said...
I’m not sure all the people in Birmingham know about their water supply. They’ve got the most beautiful water that comes right the way down from Wales along this gravity-fed, beautifully built piece of Victorian legacy architecture – the Elan Valley Aqueduct (EVA).If Wales had control over its own resources Ms Garfield would be saying that she would be seeking Welsh Assembly approval for this .
“It has been bringing water to Birmingham for 100 years. It has served our customers well, but our regular checks are showing it’s time for some modernisation and refurbishment.
“To allow us to do more substantive maintenance we need to supply water to Birmingham from another source, so we’re planning to build an extra pipeline to take water from a new place on the River Severn.
“This will give us a back-up supply of water to Birmingham during the refurbishment work on the EVA and in the future in case of emergency.
The water authority controls the following public sector statutory water undertakers:[
- Birmingham Corporation Water Department
- the water supply department of Coventry Corporation
- the water supply department of Leicester Corporation
- City of Nottingham Water Department
- the water supply department of Stafford Corporation
- the water supply department of Wolverhampton Corporation
- the water supply department of Cannock Rural District Council
- Central Nottinghamshire Water Board
- East Shropshire Water Board
- Montgomeryshire Water Board
- North Derbyshire Water Board
- North East Warwickshire Water Board
- North West Gloucestershire Water Board
- North West Leicestershire Water Board
- North West Worcestershire Water Board
- Rugby Joint Water Board
- South Derbyshire Water Board
- South Warwickshire Water Board
- South West Worcestershire Water Board
- Staffordshire Potteries Water Board
- West Shropshire Water Board
and this means Ms Garfield seems confidence she and Severn Trent can do what they like with the beautiful water .and not pay Wales a penny for it.
What other Nation tolerates such an abuse?
If Plaid are going to come up with new commitments in their conference this weekend Bringing all Water supply likee the former Montgomeryshire Water Board under the control of the Welsh Assembly and that we receive payment for our natural resources should surely be on the agenda for next years Assembly Manifesto.