Tuesday 16 October 2012

Bethan Jenkins "The final curtain"?

It does not look good for Bethan Jenkins, after  the A Plaid Assembly member was arrested for drink-driving.

She  was arrested in Cardiff, in the early hours of Sunday morning and has been bailed by police. She has not been charged.

The South Wales West regional member, who has been suspended from her party's group in the assembly, said she was "profoundly sorry" for her actions. and said

This is something I deeply regret and I will fully accept the punishment I am given.
"In recent weeks I have been receiving help from a medical professional and a counsellor to deal with a recognised health problem.
"There is no excuse for this incident, but I am clear that I now need to address this issue as a matter of urgency. As such, I am receiving professional medical support for depression, something I am only beginning to come to terms with.
"I would like to thank the police for ensuring the safety of others and that of myself in the action they took, and I apologise profusely to them for adding to their already difficult workload."

BBC Wales 16 October 2012
Unfortunately for Bethan this as come after a number of unfavourable headlines and it and (assuming she is charged and found guilty) will make it very difficult for her gain the number one spot when Plaid  nominate the regional candidates for South West Wales for the next Assembly Elections,

I don't drive but I'm honest enough to admit if I did then I could likely misjudge my alcohol levels and be caught over the limit . So I hope we are not going to have some self righteous condemnations from Bethan's opponents here . Though it may depend on how over the limit she may be.

Nevertheless driving under the influence of alcohol is a serious offence and Politicians who make the laws are expected to obey them.

It is will if she is convicted for Bethan somehow  to carry on as Assembly Member if convicted and it will be difficult for Plaid who have acted rather to quickly in suspending her as Alan Davies states in his blog to readmit her,

"But the last thing she needs right now is to be suspended by her party at a time when she really needs help and support. Whatever happened to the concept of “Mewn Undeb mae Nerth”."

 Alas it looks like for now Bethan's political career may be coming to a close at least in the Assembly. I for one will be sorry to see it.We need voices to speak out against the norm and not play the safe wish washy politics we see from most of those in the Assembly.

One further thing although the inclusion on the story merited being reported other Text news pages of the BBC . Why do our AM only get reported on the Politics page when there's a controversy?

5 comments:

Alwyn ap Huw said...

Dafydd Elis-Thomas was convicted of drink driving and lost his licence - it didn't seem to harm his political career; so I don't see it being a major issue for Bethan either.

And its not as if the other parties can make too much capital out of the issue given the Rod Richards (Con) Mick Bates (LD) and Keith Davies (Lab) boozed up incidents!

Bill Chapman said...

She really should resign her seat. I'm sure you agree.

glynbeddau said...

Alwyn

I think yo are right about his not being a resignation but it may be when it comes to being the Number One Nomination at the next election.

Oscar Foxtrot said...

Too many knives out for Bethan within the Plaid establishment. I can't see her surviving.

Gwilym said...

Alwyn ap Huw's arguments don't hold water. They "everyone's doing it" argument is a weak one. All of those he named should have resigned their seats.

She has to go.