Tuesday 24 April 2012

Leanne takes a stand against abuse of elderly women

Plaid Cymru’s new leader Leanne Wood has rejected an invitation to take part in this week’s Jubilee celebrations, saying she would not be able to attend “with honesty”.

Leanne  told the Western Mail 


 As a republican and a believer in principled politics, I would not be able to attend this jubilee celebration event with honesty.
“During my leadership campaign I said I would be prepared to carry out official duties, which includes attending state openings.This does not fall into that category.
“I know people have different feelings about the monarchy and about republicanism. I have no animosity towards the individuals involved and I wish them all well. I hope that people will understand and respect my position.
“During my leadership campaign I said I would be prepared to carry out official duties, which includes attending state openings.This does not fall into that category.
“I know people have different feelings about the monarchy and about republicanism. I have no animosity towards the individuals involved and I wish them all well. I hope that people will understand and respect my position.
Expect a response from the other parties accusing Leanne  of "Snubbing the Queen" and being irresponsible


Neil Welton, leader of Monarchy Wales,(whatever that is) said the latest opinion polls show only 12 to 15 per cent of people in Wales want a republic.

“It’s just pathetic. Her Majesty’s reign over these past 60 years has been remarkable, and yet silly and childish republican party poopers want to rain upon her parade in South Wales,” he said.

I don't know he got is information from However the latest from British Futures  This sceptered Isle poll where 57% of Welsh people asked were proud of comedian Rob Brydon more than said they were proud of the Queen (35%). 56% said that were totally not proud of the Queen
But even if this true . Why are 15% of the population always  being ignored  and thier views hardly ever shown on the mainstream media.
BBC Wales in his usual sychophantic role  has Siân Williams tracking down those who were filmed during the 1953 coronation celebration In a programme called UGH Elizabeth's Wales.
Would it be more interesting to also show those who were not filmed . Who were  not taking part in the ceremony because of Republican and/or Nationalist beliefs.
During the 1969 Investiture there was a great deal of dissent but this also was largely Ignored.

Leanne's  decision  is a refreshing move by a leading politician who is putting her beliefs in to action .

This is not case of Boycotting a state opening of the Assembly as Leanne had in the past but not taking part in these celebrations.

For my part I will be doing everything to avoid these celebrations and will not despite my Republicanism  taking part

I will not be joining the Republic  Wales demonstration  are planned  at the  Llandaff cathedral on Thursday morning.I really don't to wave banners at a 86 old Women and her 91 year old husband.

Indeed I really find it offensive that these elderly people are being made to take part in these so called "celebrations" in order to perpetuate the monarchy by those who interest lie within preserving the current state. One can't help feeling the Queen and her consort are as much Tools of State as the rest of us.

If it was done to other members of the public at that age it would lead to accusations of abuse.

One aspect may be that by June 5th  when there will be the official Bank Holiday. Like the over coverage of the  constant coverage of the Titanic remembrance people will be bored with the Jubilee with it being on our TV's Ad Nauseam and don't forget  next years will be the anniversary of the bloody coronation so expect more in 2013.

Like many people last year I did my best to avoid the Wedding of her Grandson  and will do the same on the June 5th Holiday. Rather than protest I really think its best to do something else.












No comments: