The result was
The result made no change in the balance of power and had previously been held by an Independent .
It could have been interesting if it had been a straight fight between Plaid and Llais Gwynedd especially they held the neighbouring seat of Llangelyin and the candidate was the husband of that ward's councillor Louise Hughes.
But both were easily surpassed by Independent Beth Lawton who won comparably .
Interestingly despite Louise Hughes . presence Merionith is not particularly strong for Llais Gwynedd who are concentrated in the Dwyfor area.and just as the old joke went that Plaid Cymru was actually Plaid Gwynedd perhaps Llais Gwynedd should be really called Llais Dwyfor
What is Llais Gwynedd anyway
- A Nationalist group based largely on the support for the Welsh Language.
- A right wing Nationalist Group
- Simply a protest group opposed to School Closures
- A group of people fed up with Plaids lethargy and prepared to give the party a kick up the Backside.
- A coalition of different ideologies united for electoral purposes.
What we need is a clear Manifesto from Llais Gwynedd on where they stand. Of course if they did this some members may think they don't stand there at all.
But to be fair they have shaken Plaid out of a complacency in Gwynedd and although I personally think they are wrong in opposing school reforms as Plaid are in other Parts of Wales . They may well speak for a large number of people in Gwynedd, and whilst I may not like what they say doesn't mean we shouldn't listen