Monday 11 December 2017

Carl Sargeant's son to seek Labour nomination for his seat.

The son of late Labour politician Carl Sargeant has said he wants to succeed his father in the Welsh Assembly.

Jack Sargeant, 23, has put his name forward for the Labour nomination in Alyn and Deeside where a by-election is to be held after his father's death.
He said he wanted to continue his father's "legacy" in the constituency.

Idon't like  hereditary as a means of selecting our political representatives and although I have no reason to question Jack Sargeant's capability to represent Alun and Deeside and certainly sympathise with his desire to " continue his father's "legacy" especially in the tragic circumstances of his fathers death is a by-election or any election a vehicle to carry out a internal party feud?

However Jack Sargeant is making all the right noises 


He said:

 “I grew up here, went to school here, got my engineering apprenticeship here at our local college and then went to the local university down the road in Wrexham.
“I never expected to be going into public life. I studied engineering, not law or politics but I think I can bring real-world experience into the Welsh Assembly – and I think the Assembly needs that.
“I know what people in Alyn and Deeside are thinking and feeling. They’ve been hit by austerity that has forced down real wages and made it tough for people struggling to make ends meet.
“I’ve been lucky enough to work for a local business in the engineering sector – the kind of company that helps to build prosperity for local economies and our local area. With Airbus just nearby, I want to make sure local businesses can benefit from foreign investment to create and retain local jobs.
“I want to make a difference. Like my Dad did, whether he was trying to get better housing for local people, to protect our environment by driving forward recycling plans across Wales and supporting green jobs, or standing up for women who had been subject to domestic violence, playing his part in getting a new law through the Assembly to protect them.
“I’m a loyal Labour member. Proud to be a Labour member. It was an honour to meet Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn when he came to Dad’s funeral last week.

“But I’ll be my own man. I have my own principles and values. They’re Labour values – they’re about standing up for ordinary hard-working people
“Creating jobs, more apprenticeships for local youngsters. Giving every child a real chance of a better start in life. Investment in our public services – hospitals, schools and social services. Local services that my family – mother Bernie, sister Lucy, my uncles and aunts and my grandparents – use every day in Alyn and Deeside.
“Our area’s been through tough times. It needs a champion from the local community - someone who knows it like I do and like my Dad did. People here know me, my family and our values.
“I’m a hard worker and a good listener. I’ll put in the hours it takes to get things done. I’ll be there for my community and the people living here. You can count on me.”
 If he is selected then I think there is no doubt he will win and Labour nay well not  decide on the risk  of running another candidate particuarly one who is seen as being imposed from outside even if the perception is wrong.

Meanwhile a senior Labour councillor in Flintshire says he will run as an independent in the assembly by-election in Alyn and Deeside if a grassroots candidate is not chosen for his party.
Meanwhile a senior Labour councillor in Flintshire says he will run as an independent in the assembly by-election in Alyn and Deeside if a grassroots candidate is not chosen for his party.
Bernie Attridge said he does not want to stand but told BBC Wales that will "depend on who the Welsh Labour candidate is".
Mr Attridge has demanded the resignation of Carwyn Jones over how he handled allegations against Mr Sargeant, who the first minister sacked from the Welsh Government cabinet after learning of allegations about the AM's conduct.
 The deputy leader of Flintshire, who was a close friend of Mr Sargeant, said.
"To be perfectly honest there's no appetite whatsoever in Alyn and Deeside [for the by-election] - there's just lots of anger,"
"But for myself I've made it clear that I have no intention of standing."
But he said that was "caveated... depending on who the Welsh Labour candidate is".
"I've seen it before in Alyn and Deeside, when people have been parachuted in," he said.
"If the person isn't chosen as a grassroots member of Alyn and Deeside to stand for that seat, then I will be resigning from the Labour party and standing as an independent."
The selection of Jack Sargant may well ensure that Labour win the By-election but it will undoubtedly  cause a huge headache for the first minister Carwyn Jones.

 

1 comment:

Leigh Richards said...

Although the matter is still under independent investigation looking from the outside it does look as if communications between the first minister and the late carl sargeant could have been better, but until we know the outcome of the investigation it is difficult to say more than that. I appreciate Mr Attridge was a close friend of carl sargeant and is clearly still grieving over his loss but its also clear he isn't interested in awaiting the outcome of the independent investigation and has already decided on carwyn jones guilt on this matter.

It's up to welsh labour who they choose as their candidate in the alyn and deeside by election but if they select jack sergeant it should surely be because he's the best candidate not because of who his father was.